Friday, May 27, 2011

Chocolate Marquise



The May 2011 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Emma of CookCraftGrow and Jenny of Purple House Dirt. They chose to challenge everyone to make a Chocolate Marquise. The inspiration for this recipe comes from a dessert they prepared at a restaurant in Seattle.


If, like me, you have never heard of a Chocolate Marquise, then you’re in for a treat! The closest thing I can compare this to is a frozen rich chocolate mousse. I used a heart shape silicone muffin mold I found at target after valentines day and the result was a very gourmet looking dessert for us. If you follow the exact recipe on the DB website, then you will have WAY too much of this left over. This is the kind of dessert that needs to be assembled at the same time it is eaten because the meringue will begin to weep in the fridge. I ended up using a quartered version of the recipe and got 8 cute little hearts molded, just right for the 4 of us and our neighbors to enjoy on the patio. It’s a great summer dessert because it is cold and as it starts to soften on the plate the meringue and marquise become the same texture and melt together in your mouth. I didn’t do the almonds, but I definitely think they would help to add some crunch amidst all the soft creaminess. All in all I think it was a pretty good hit!

No comments:

Post a Comment