Monday, August 2, 2010

It's the BOMB!

Boy, you don't realize how much you need electricity until you don't have it! So it seems I am now a few days late posting this, but better late than never!

The July 2010 Daring Bakers’ challenge was hosted by Sunita of Sunita’s world – life and food. Sunita challenged everyone to make an ice-cream filled Swiss roll that’s then used to make a bombe with hot fudge. Her recipe is based on an ice cream cake recipe from Taste of Home.-

Since on first challenge I followed the directions exactly, this time I decided to play a little bit. I was in the mood for something summery since the heat index has been over 100 now for several weeks. Lemon gelatto is one of my favorites and I knew it would pair nicely with the fresh strawberries I had saved in the freezer. So lemon and strawberry ice cream it is! I am one of the unfortunate few who does not have an ice cream maker (yet!) so I had to do this the old fashioned way, with a hand mixer and lots of freezer time. Bot ice creams came out good and creamy, but then again, how could I fail with David Lebovitz as my source?

 Since both of those were very strong flavors, I left the sponge cake plain with a whip cream filling. Just  remember for the sponge cake, never spray your pan, otherwise the sponge cake won't rise and it will be very thin. A small sheet of parchment on the bottom will do the trick. Instead of fudge I just used more whip cream in between the ice creams.  A few cherries on top and it was like a giant ice cream sunday. :) The sponge cake works wonders with the ice cream, since it really soaks it up when it starts to melt. This was a deliciously refreshing treat for the summer. Thank you Sunita for the fun challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment